Agile Auditing: Transforming the Internal Audit Process
Agile IA is an innovative approach that uses Agile software development values, principles, and practices to transform how internal audit engagements are executed.
This methodology enhances the internal audit value proposition by facilitating a more agile approach to addressing organizational risk dynamics.
Agile IA includes process improvements, team-based iterative planning, sprints (time-boxed work increments), daily stand-up meetings, project collaboration with stakeholders, and iterative releases of work products.
Common features of Agile IA:
- Focus on value for the organization (rather than audit objectives)
- Enhanced client collaboration (part of project team)
- Iterative planning, execution, and reporting
- Time-boxed discipline (fixed work cycles)
- Self-organizing audit teams
- Timely audit insights and risk responses (real-time feedback)
- Fewer disagreements about audit outcomes between audit team and audit client
- Documentation rationalization (simplification of workpapers)